Sunday, June 20, 2010

Lessons from Daddy

Today is Father's Day. And I have the best father. (And mother)



Yes, the most recent picture I have is from my high school graduation 3 years ago.

Today I was reminded of one of the wisest things I have learned from my father, yet I often forget to apply it to my life. It goes something like this:

Never assume--it only makes an ass of u and me.

It's hard to not assume things. At a certain point, it could possibly be seen as insulting not to assume. For instance, my roommates and I make dinner for each other. We have it all scheduled out. I don't need them asking me every week, "So, are you making dinner tonight?" Of course I am, like every other Tuesday night. Instead, they can just say "What's for dinner?" Of course, that's only acceptable under the right circumstances and relationship. So, I still say that the idiom holds true for general purposes.

What are some other valuable lessons I learned from my dad? That most people are idiots. That my mom is the queen. That the best way to train a dog is to hide outside at night with a hose and spray him down when he howls. That I can do anything I want--not in a spoiled way, in an achieve-your-dreams way. That a good stereo makes you a lot happier. That honesty is the best policy. That hard work pays off.
That love is the most important thing there is.

I love you Daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment