Saturday, April 17, 2010

Forgotten Language of God?



I have lately been thinking that we should interpret our dreams more. People in the Old Testament used to get divine revelations and important instructions in the form of dreams. For example, Joseph deciphers from Pharaoh's dream that there would be seven years of plenty followed by seven years of famine. Wouldn't we all like to know things like that in advance? Preferably with enough time in advance to adequately prepare? So why don't we look to our dreams now for inspiration and guidance?

One mystical dream site I was perusing suggested that most dreams we dream have a message that is trying to teach us something about ourselves, especially if the dream in recurring. It's like something inside you needs to get out, and the only way is through dreams. Let's analyze a recurring dream I had as a child.

It was me, held tightly to the chest of Superman, flying through the air. We approach an obscenely tall skyscraper and find our way inside. Each level of this building is a swimming pool, with the lane lines formatted to create a grid. On each floor, in one of these grid squares, there is a bomb. It's our job to find it and get rid of it!

What does this dream mean? I can't really interpret this as a flying dream because I was just going a long for the ride (though I have, of course, had flying dreams). Maybe it could be a "test dream": there's a challenge on my plate and I need to eat it. Sidenote: for how much I love food, I can't recall any dreams I have had about food. Test dreams signify that there is something we are anxious about or unprepared for, thus it is taking over our subconscious. But, I had Superman to help me. And Superman never fails. Who is this Superman who will be with me for the great test of my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment