Sunday, July 4, 2010

Mecca

Pilgrimage: A journey to a shrine of importance to a person's beliefs and faith.


Welcome to Madison, Wisconsin in July. Sure, it's not the greatest place to visit in the winter, but right now, it's comparable to Eden. Is there really a place so lush and green, where the air feels healthy and alive with water instead of dry and life-sucking? Are those real birds singing non-stop in the trees and cicadas roaring in the evening? Green grass? A protective umbrella of trees for the sunlight to shine through? Oh, how I love this place.


Besides the dreamy climate, what else do I love about home? Let's start with the basics, like my bed...


...and a kitchen where magic happens. Pulled pork sandwiches with mustard vinegar sauce, potato salad swimming in cilantro, homemade chocolate brownies, and much more to come.


Finally, Saturdays in Madison means Farmers Market. Best Farmers Market in the world, and that's not a joke. Hundreds of people swarming the sidewalk around the square, it's more like being pushed into a herd of cattle, slowly mowing along. Smoothies from fake tiki-huts, fresh produce heaped in piles, flowers that attract anyone's eye, honey from the bee man with a hive hat and his bees on display, tables of cheese and squeeky cheese curds, breads, cakes, cookies, and pies from Amish kitchens, delicious berries, meat, eggs, gords, jams, chiles, herbs, handicrafts, musicians all around...what could be better?


And let's not forget... hot, spicy cheese bread! I think I ate the whole loaf.

1 comment: