The Kite Runner is a 2007 film directed by Marc Forster based on the novel of the same name by Khaled Hosseini. It tells the story of Amir, a well-to-do boy from the Wazir Akbar Khan district of Kabul, who is tormented by the guilt of abandoning his friend Hassan, the son of his father's Hazara servant. The story is set against a backdrop of tumultuous events, from the fall of the monarchy in Afghanistanthrough the Soviet invasion, the mass exodus of refugees to Pakistan and the United States, and the Taliban regime.So I loved the book, and I was a little disappointed with the movie in the respect that it didn't do the same thing the book did. But that is to be expected. The movie didn't give as intense insight from Amir's perspective--his internal struggles and serious guilt and shame conflicts. The book was really good at being gruesome, in a sense. It left nothing to question. The movie, I felt, tried to find the glimmers of hope or optimism and magnify those...which perhaps makes for a more welcomed movie. The ending of the movie is more conclusive than the book, as I remember it, but still leaves you feeling somewhat unsatisfied. Did Amir do enough to make things right?
No comments:
Post a Comment