Holy cow...today was the first day of teaching at the schools and I am pooped. We start the day at Discovery Kinder, which is a really nice school where all the rich kids go, and we are their English class. We have 6-8 kids rotate through 4 teachers every 20 minutes. The kids there are crazy. They actually knew English pretty well. There are some that don't talk unless you pull it out of them, and some kids that won't stop talking. They are good at not speaking any English, though. Later in the day we teach at a specific ILP school, where any child can come take a 2-hour class. Here the range of abilities is huge. One, adorable little girl didn't speak any English, and would tell us that in Spanish. Her brother just rambled off the whole time in Spanish, even though we keep telling him "No English!" There are some kids though who are really good at English, too. I feel like it will be difficult to plan lessons that will engage this whole range of students. It's hard to implement much discipline, but I feel like that would be helpful. I'll have to work on that. It was a whirlwind of a day, but everyone keeps saying it gets easier and more enjoyable...so I'm anxiously awaiting that day!
I went to bed before eight o'clock almost every night when I was doing my practicum and student teaching. It's exhausting.
ReplyDeleteThose kids are lucky to have you and I am glad to be along for the ride too.
Love you.