Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Crazy Hike and An Even Crazier Zoo

On Saturday, Jacque´s host brother offered to take us on a hike up a mountain where there is a giant cross. We woke up early, took a taxi to Jacque´s, and started out at 8 am. It was great because it had rained the night before, so we didn't melt in any blazing sun. The mountains were beautiful and I couldn't stop thinking that this must be where Dr. Seuss got a lot of his inspiration for landscapes and trees. Two hours later, we got to the top of Cerro Colorado, sweating, but extremely satisfied. After a little rest, we had to climb the cross, of course! And do some Yoga, and take awesome jumping shots.










When we got back down to the city, we met up with the other teachers and went to the Club de Animales. It is the most make-shift looking zoo with the most ridiculous animals. Tigers, orange and white, lions, cougars, bears, leopards, pumas, panthers, zebra, emu, ostrich, ugly dogs, howler monkeys, camels...it was crazy. And, it was also feeding time. All the huge cats were just pacing, back and forth in their cages, eyeing the wheelbarrow full of dead chickens. The white tiger was sitting their roaring at anyone who got too close to his cage, maybe afraid we might take his food. And when I say getting close, I mean close. This wasn't like an American zoo where eating time means all the animals are hiding. You could touch them...and we did, some of them. Oh, and the first picture is my "Hey Mom! I'm getting swine flu!" shot. But not really, I feel fine. And the last one is us demonstrating our BYU pride. Yes, we touched the cougars and heard them growl, just like when we score a first down.





2 comments: